Monday, September 20, 2010

Doors & Mirror Magic.....

OK, that does it! New sign on my front door!




In the over 15 years I've been a home-based working person, I continue to battle one issue more than economic swings even.  I really, really, really wish people would consider, afford courtesy, and treat home-working folks the same way they treat their peeps who go to an office building every day. (Do they just drop-in on them?) Seriously, for every chunk of time I have to drop everything to answer someone's desire to "visit", I have to add that time onto an already very long day to get my stuff done.   
PSA for the day!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ 
And on a positive note....
My *magic kernel* for today is:

One way to add a wee bit of inexpensive magic to your environment is with light!  Reflective light!  It works both day and night!  For example, in my backyard, I've scattered 1" squares of mirror that I purchased here: http://kitkraft.biz/product.php?productid=5189&cat=265&page=1 all around my garden and picnic table to enjoy reflectve dancing light, both sunlight during the day, and candlelight at night when I set up votives burning or hurricane candles!  The mirrors catch the sun or candle light and doubles the volume of light dancing about...*magical*!

Tuck mirror tiles randomly in amongst your garden and watch the light dance! 
Is it light? 
Or is it the faeries the light attracts? 

 

Happy Monday!
~Carol


8 comments:

Julia Guthrie said... [Reply to comment]

Loving your recent blog entries Carol :)

I sympathise with the interuptions issue. I know it's been a problem for you for a long time!
I just can't understand why some people don't understand the concept of working from home. My parents have a similar mental block regarding 'self employment' in general! *rolls eyes*

Love the mirror idea! :)
xxxxx

carolochs said... [Reply to comment]

Hi Julia!
Most people pick up on normal social cues... i.e. "I'm really busy", etc....but I seem to be surrounded by an inordinate number of drop-in individuals who are social clue-LESS. Saying things like "I'm really busy" seems to mean something entirely different to them. I hate to be snarky (the sign), but honestly...I'm at the end of my rope, it's like WHAT DOES IT TAKE?!

Thanks for visiting! Always good to see you, Sweetie! ~Carol :)

Anonymous said... [Reply to comment]

The mirrors are such a lovely idea! :) And they do attract fairies. :)

And don't feel bad about the sign. If people cannot respect the fact that you are working and take the hint after multiple times of telling them, then perhaps they do need a sign to make it a bit more obvious. Let's just hope though they don't think the sign wasn't meant for them. ;)

carolochs said... [Reply to comment]

@April

Hi April....Yes...heh heh...."the kind" I get, seem to be the kind who hear social cues, or see a sign, and a closed door to them only means pound harder and hollar louder..."Carol! Carol! I know you're in there! I see your truck in the driveway! Carol! Carol! Oy!

Unknown said... [Reply to comment]

I love the mirror idea. Must try that!
I can so relate to the interruptions. It's very distracting and takes up my time.

carolochs said... [Reply to comment]

@Sherry Byrum

Hi Sherry Girl! YES!...the more mirrors, the more magic! ;)

(Maybe a big fat hairy pet tarantula kept on the front doorway would do the trick!!!)

Platypus Dreams said... [Reply to comment]

I know what you mean, luckily I am out in the bush. Those who have dropped in without appointment to my workshop have been sticky beaks and never bought anything, never had any intention to either.

"Open by Appointment Only" maybe more appropriate. Or a sign saying "Do Not Disturb - Appointment Only" and if no notice is taken then put at the bottom "Sorry but that does mean you too".

Hey love your garden pics.

carolochs said... [Reply to comment]

Technically, I'm not zoned to conduct at-my-door commerce at home anyway; it's not customers coming to the door...it's usually pesky neighbors who just want to visit and apparently think I have all the time in the world to do so. I don't even want them to think there's a chance of making an appointment! LOL!

I'm still thinking a big hairy tarentula on a leash chained to the front door might be the best approach! ;)