Thursday, October 14, 2010

Only 17 more days!


Muwahahahaaaaa!  What to wear?  What to wear?
I've had my nose to the grindstone for so many days, I haven't looked up to have some Halloween fun!  Today I will devote some serious time to deciding which witch costume to wear! 
For those of you who also like to get into the spirit, and stir your own cauldron...here's our traditional Corn Chowder recipe I make every Halloween!  Enjoy!

- CORN CHOWDER -
4 slices bacon, chopped
1 large sweet onion, chopped
3 medium potatoes, pared & diced
2  1/2 cups water
1/4 flour
1/2 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp.  pepper
2 cans whole kernel corn (1 lb. each)
1 tall can evaporated milk

Cook bacon until crisp in large pot.  Set aside to drain.  Saute onion in same pot until soft.  Add potatoes, 2 cups of the water, salt, pepper, cover.  Simmer 15 minutes or until tender.  Stir in corn & evaporated milk.  Blend flour with remaining water and stir into chowder.  Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until chowder thickens and bubbles.   Stir in chopped bacon & serve.  10 - 12 servings

Optional add-ins:  2 cups cooked chicken cut into chunks, 1/2 cup diced green pepper.

Delicious served with cornbread, and I always add whole kernal corn to my cornbread recipe!  YUM!



2 comments:

Kelley said... [Reply to comment]

This recipe sounds awesome! Hope to try a version of it this weekend!

carolochs said... [Reply to comment]

I hope you enjoy it, Piper! It's uber-tasty!